Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Wish Upon a Twinkling Star

How does it feel? How does it feel to be out there…how does it feel to look down on earth? Did your heart beat fast when your foot first touched the surface of the moon? Did you have goose bumps as you stared at the black space and wondered what's beyond further more? Did earth look peaceful from up there while wars ate people alive? Did it feel like a dream? Neil Armstrong, did you feel close to god the most in your entire life?

I sit in the night staring at the sky, at the millions of the stars, at the bright moon, hoping that maybe a comet might pass by, so I could wish for my infinite wishes, or ask my endless questions. Is there a life out there somewhere? Do they look down at us? Do they want to be friends with us? Is it really eternal…doesn't it ever stop? This vast black blanket varnished with countless stars and planets…Isn't there an end? Those wonders keep wandering in people's minds, some people don't really think a lot about it, but other ambitious people look no where but upon the sparkling stars and wish to reach the sky, to that place no man has ever been to. I'm one of those people Neil, and I envy you…Yes, I envy you! I want to be dressed like an astronaut; I want to touch the sky, I want to fly, to Mars, to Saturn, to the moon I always talked to, though it has never answered back. I miss it each month when it leaves…and I love it when it's full, smiling down on me…

Is it scary when the rocket first shoots? What do you see when you first leave earth and be welcomed by the space? What do you exactly see at that moment? When you leave blue skies and get surrounded by black all around. How does it feel when there's no gravity? Do you just float?

We're talking about a girl of dreams, I'm always running away from reality, I don't face facts, I believe in fairytales! And when I'm not dreaming asleep…I have daydreams; the sky, and that I might someday fly, my future, will I ever be something? I want to look through a telescope, I never did! I want to travel the world, and I've only been on a plane twice. My dreams are so enormous to fit on this earth, I can't handle them, they just keep getting stronger, I want to make them true, and they demand lots of work. But I always look at the sky, "if one man can do it, another can do it"…I believe in myself…and I don't want to be another grave without a name. I want to be remembered for many years after I die. I'm looking upon the stars, I'm wishing for dreams. God only knows if I'll ever become what I always wanted to be, Someone who dared to dream in a world, that people bordered, someone who went up there looking for another planet, hoping so maybe, just maybe people would stop fighting over land, someone who believed there's much more in this everlasting life than live and die, someone who rode comets, and touched planets…someone special…unique…someone…someone like you…

By: Shereen Akram Amarin 10th Grade Jordan

No comments: